Golden Milk - The Nighttime Adrenal Tonic
As we enter into the coldest time of the year, there is no better time to start a warming, nighttime routine. One of my favorite things to help warm myself up during the cold is to make a golden milk latte with ashwaghanda.
Ashwaghanda is a wonderful herb, found to be very helpful by many people all around the world. It is neutral in temperature, meaning it balances both hot and cold constitutions. It acts on our adrenal glands and falls within the adaptogen category. Ashwaghanda helps to support a more balanced and regulated stress response.
Another wonderful addition to this tea is turmeric. Turmeric is known for it's bright orange color and it's amazing anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric is also supportive to liver function and can be used for a gentle detoxification.
You can also add black pepper to enhance the absorption of the turmeric greatly.
Finally ginger and cinnamon are added, which bring warming properties to the tea. Ginger aids in digestion and helps with circulation, while cinnamon also boosts our circulation. It is a great addition for the winter months to keep us warm internally.
Golden Milk Tea
- 1 cup of milk (dairy milk, almond, cashew etc.)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ideally ceylon cinnamon (aka true cinnamon)
- 1 tsp ashwaghanda root, powdered
- small pinch of ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- honey or pure maple syrup to taste
1) Add milk to a pot, place on stove over medium low heat.
2) As steam starts to rise, add the spices and coconut oil. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring to avoid burning.
3) Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before adding your sweetener. Enjoy!